Friday, December 26, 2008

le paper dolls

Dictophonic Bootleg series #1

Before I owned digital recording devices I used to record everything on a 10c broken down cassette dictophone. I probably have 50 or so tapes scattered around my place, most of them unmarked. I have connected my tape deck to my computer via the microphone input and have decided to make an attempt at sorting through them and putting the best ones online. My dictophone had no limiter or anything fancy like that so a lot of my bootlegs of really great bands that play really loud are really unuseable...
This recording is of one of my favourite bands, Le paper dolls. A brilliant amateur trio from sydney who apparently wrote all their songs on the bus trip to their first show. This recording contains everything that I remember about a le paper dolls show, shouting backing track songs, long awkward silences, mysterious lyrics, utterly captivating drum/guitar songs falling to pieces... somehow they emerge from the wreckage leaving astonishment. Taken from january of 2006 from a show with Crab smasher and Dance creeps... I don't know if I have bootlegs, If I come across them I'll post them.

LE PAPER DOLLS

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hi nick - do you know where this was recorded?
cheers
shaun/tenzenmen

pirates of the free air said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pirates of the free air said...

yes, it was club 77 in kings cross, the address is on the flyer, I think if you click the flyer it will link to a bigger version. It is a downstairs bar/dungeon looking establishment that hosts mostly dance music if my knowledge is correct...

Anonymous said...

Hi, great site, any chance you found that dance creeps recording, or if you have one?! I would die of happiness.